The Graduate Research Library (GRL) was established in October 2007. It is located on the Ground Floor of the Jomo Kenyatta Memorial Library. The Unit is a hub for provision of specialized services to postgraduate students (Phd students only) and academic staff. Plans are underway to locate the section at a larger place in order to allow accommodation of more information resources and also enlarge the reading area for clients. After relocation the GRL will be the main resource centre, however, branch GRL’s will continue operating.
Types of Resources
The section acquires and provides access to the following information resources
1. Printed Newspapers that include:
• Business Daily
• East African Standard
• Daily Nation
2. Reference books
3. Special collection comprising of:
• Inaugural lectures and Citations;
• Spanish books;
• PHD theses only, new titles are added frequently depending on the number of graduates;
• Social work books (PROSOWO);
• School of Journalism books (SOJ);
• Thai embassy information resources.
Other information materials include
• Research methods books;
• General Collection books;
• Independent Research Collection (ISP).
Printed and electronic journals; Electronic journals are available online through the university website
The Unit is manned by professionals who assist users with research queries as well as providing information literacy training and Document Delivery Service that seeks to empower the information users with skills to access, evaluate and use the available information resources. Other services provided by the section include;
• Study space with sitting capacity of 50 customers;
• Answering of research queries;
• Training on e-resources;
• Printing services;
• Electronic document delivery
The section is opened as per the opening hours of the library.
Contact us on (020) 318262 Ex 28033.
Email us at graduate-research@ uonbi.ac.ke