The Deputy Director (Technical), Library and Information Services attended a welcome orientation address for first-year students, College of Humanities and Social Sciences. The orientation was organized by the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academic Affairs.
The Deputy Director addressed the first-year students for the academic year 2019/2020. The address was conducted on 23rd January 2020 at the Taifa Hall.
In her speech, the Deputy Director welcomed the new students in the University library system. The students were sensitized on various library services and facilities available. Some of the services discussed were as follows;
Availability of information resources in print and non-print including;
- print books and journals
- electronic books and journals and local content,
- Audio discs and videos discs
Systems in place to enhance access to information resources including;
- The physical libraries available in Colleges, Schools, and Campuses
- Remote access
- Library website
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
- Discovery tools
- Research analytical tools
- University Digital Repository
Other services and facilities provided for library users, including;
- Continuous training and orientation on the use of information resources
- Information Literacy program conducted for undergraduate students
- Bindery Services
- Reprography services
- Africana and Archival Collection
The deputy director advised students to make the best use of the library resources, especially the online electronic resources that can be accessed at a remote location for learning, teaching, and research. Students were urged to register with the library in order to enjoy access to the rich information resources and services.
The occasion was graced by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (DVC) Academic Affairs. The DVC advised the students to comply with Academic regulations and never to give up on their vision. He also advised them to nurture their talents during their stay at the University of Nairobi.